Join Runner's Edge!

2010 is here! It's time for you to get serious about your training for half marathons, full marathons, ultras and tris! Visit our website to become an active member of Runner's Edge of the Rockies, a Denver marathon training group!

Our Mission

To provide the best training program in the Denver metro-area, in order to help people achieve their goals while keeping in balance with the rest of life's priorities, and staying injury free.

Not Exactly How I Planned It

Well, that didn't take long before I missed a scheduled run. Yesterday was just crazy-busy (today is too), so I had to bag yesterday's scheduled 8M run. I was able to get it in this morning though, but also have another 4M tonight. Normally I wouldn't recommend a half or full marathoner take this approach since you can't "make up" mileage and typically will do more harm than good, but in my case since I need to build time on my feet to prepare for what could be 9+ hours of running, doing a 2-a-day workout might actually work in my favor.

This morning's workout was OK, as I've just been really tired the past few days with how busy we've been. The weather was beautiful and I did have Champ to keep me company for the first 4M, but when you're tired and have a gazillion things running through your head (for me it's my "to do list"), then the miles can be less than enjoyable. So to break it up during the second half, I threw in about 20 minutes of various plyometrics. (Members in our Speedwork sessions are all too familiar with these drills!) Not only did it make the run go faster but also added valuable training.

So why am I so busy, you ask? In addition to answering E-mails and phone calls from both current and prospective members, and preparing for the start of our Winter Training Session on Saturday, I also had to visit several of our sponsor running stores around Denver. Also, Julie and I are on a crash-course of trying to get the house for the arrival of "Little Baby M", as we have been calling him. Part of that involved doing some demo to our bedroom closet so we could install some new shelving. Up until yesterday, our small closet lacked the hanging/shelf space for both of us and all of my running gear was in what will soon be the baby's room. So I got to play a little Bob Villa with some demo & painting. Thankfully I was assisted by Mike Fields, a fantastic home improvement handyman that Julie somehow found through a friend. Mike was here to put up some shelving/molding, and also set up the closet system while I was out hitting the running stores.

Before...... & after!


(New shelf in baby's room.)


And today is going to be just as crazy, so I'd better get moving... Also, several of you have asked that I post my training schedule for the Sunmart 50M up on this blog, and now you can find it and follow along as I attempt to do all of my workouts. (Runner's Edge of the Rockies members will be familiar with the layout and terminology of each day/workout.)

And speaking of workout, here's someone that could use a workout or 200. While I dig KU (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!) and have to give their football team some serious props for being ranked #4 in the BCS poll, their head coach Mark Mangino is not exactly the poster-child of fitness. As good friend and member Mike Kennedy puts it, "Mangino rocks the muumuu."


0 comments:

Post a Comment