Join Runner's Edge!

2010 is here! It's time for you to get serious about your training for half marathons, full marathons, ultras and tris! Visit our website to become an active member of Runner's Edge of the Rockies, a Denver marathon training group!

Our Mission

To provide the best training program in the Denver metro-area, in order to help people achieve their goals while keeping in balance with the rest of life's priorities, and staying injury free.

"Junk Miles"

Today the schedule I built for Sunmart called for 3 recovery miles so I just ran 30 minutes this evening slow & easy with Champ. "Junk mileage" is what I typically call this type of workout when I'm coaching members of Runner's Edge of the Rockies, because they really don't offer that much value to overall marathon training other than to work out the kinks and any lactic acid that's built up in the legs from previous long runs. In fact sometimes non-impact cross-training (cycling, swimming, elliptical, walking, etc.) can provide the same result with less pounding. However, for my first ultra I figure I need to spend as much time on my feet as possible.

So I forced myself to go extra slow which was fine because I was a tad stiff from the weekend, but by the end of the run was feeling pretty fluid. The next time I will see this low of mileage on my schedule is two days prior to Sunmart on the final run of my taper, but I'm sure there will be many days in the next month where I will wish I had more. One slightly disturbing thought entered my head on the way back in from my 3 mile loop. "David, if you run that same loop 16.6 more times, you'll have your 50 miles." (Rrrriiiigggghhhht.....)

By the way, here's a pic of Julie and the dogs on Halloween along with the pumpkin I carved. OK, I have to admit that I used one of those templates/kits you buy at the grocery store, but still thought it turned out pretty good for my first attempt in nearly 20 years.


0 comments:

Post a Comment