Join Runner's Edge!

2010 is here! It's time for you to get serious about your training for half marathons, full marathons, ultras and tris! Visit our website to become an active member of Runner's Edge of the Rockies, a Denver marathon training group!

Our Mission

To provide the best training program in the Denver metro-area, in order to help people achieve their goals while keeping in balance with the rest of life's priorities, and staying injury free.

Quick Six

Today I had six semi-long (fairly slow/relaxed) miles on the schedule - However I certainly didn't run them that way. The thing I struggle with the most -- and I know this is common for other busy people -- is that when my head is racing with things to get done, typically I also race on my run. And truth-be-told, I also tossed around the idea of bumping the workout to tomorrow since tomorrow is an off day. I was going to meet up with Karen Kalbach, (Runner's Edge of the Rockies member and awesome Massage Therapist), but I couldn't spare the drive time with all of the prep-work for Saturday. But instead of bagging the run, I realized I needed to get my training in, needed a break away from the computer, and of course there was Champ all but begging me to take her outside. It was wrestle-mania all day long, with Apollo playing the role of taunting instigator.

(Please take me for a run and get me away from my little brother NOW!)


So I quickly leashed Champ up before she kicked Apollo's butt (again), and committed myself to the run by getting out the front door. But with Saturday and the first group run of our 2007 Winter Training Session fast approaching and everything on my mind, I turned what should have been a slow relaxing run into an up-tempo quick six. Most of the time when I do this, I go out hard and then will realize my error several miles into the run (because my mind is on my "to-do-list" and not on my pace), resulting in a poor workout. This is especially bad when I need to run at a recovery effort but instead hammer it and just end up more fatigued.

But for whatever reason this run didn't go that way and I cruised sub 8's for the entire run without much effort. No ITB pain, no plantar faciitis pain, no residual soreness from the previous workouts of the week. In fact by mile 4 Champ was lagging just a bit and I realized I was probably going too fast. She's still only 11 months old and while she runs every time Julie and I take her for a walk (sprinting to fetch tennis balls, chasing Apollo, and diving into every lake, pond, stream or puddle she can find), that distance/tempo was probably at her limit and I'm trying to be very cognizant not to run her too hard yet. (No worries though... She can sleep all day tomorrow as I have an off day!) After dropping Champ back off at the house I went back out for my final two miles, but again my intentions of running slowly were gone by the end of the block and I was back up-tempo for the remainder of the run.

A couple of key thoughts on this that will be interesting to think about for the upcoming weeks: If my speed really starts to pick up, that's a good sign that my body is getting comfortable with the increased mileage. Admittedly, I was slightly undertrained going into the KC Marathon three weeks ago, and knew going in "I wasn't going to be setting any world records", (to quote our 50-state member Jim Lynch). There are two primary schools of though when it comes to distance running: Quantity vs. Quality. Quantity, being the theory that more mileage is better. The legendary Arthur Lydiard is the king of "big mileage" coaching, advocating 120+ mile weeks for even his sprinters and mid distance runners, and I had the opportunity to see him speak in Boulder just one week before he died. On the other end of the spectrum is low mileage weeks, with all runs being of high quality and no "junk mileage" recovery runs. Most marathon training schedules on this extreme will have three runs per week, with either speed/hills for workout #1 early in the week, tempo (goal pace) for #2 a few days later, and then a long endurance run for #3 on the weekend. What I strongly advocate for the members I coach in our training program is a nice blend of the two extremes. Because you can't up the intensity of your quality workouts without the support of a larger weekly base.

So I'm betting that my increase in mileage and consistency is contributing to my increased pace... However, the other key thing I'll want to watch is how this plays out in my back-to-back long run workouts. Rule #1 for ultramarathon training is to go very slow on your long-runs so that you increase the time on your feet, resulting in more stamina/endurance. So that means I will have to stay focused and really watch my pace to keep it slow during some of these monster 40+ mile weekends I have coming up...

Tomorrow is an off/rest day for me. However, it will be "off" for running only as I'll be working hard on final preparations for Saturday's group run!


QUICK RANT
Why can't drivers and runners coexist? Tonight during my run I seriously lost count of the number of drivers who rolled through stop-signs and paid no heed to me or Champ. (And I was lit up like a Christmas tree too; headlamp, reflective vest, and flashing red safety magnet.) Apparently the extra 5-10 seconds it would take for drivers to come to a complete stop and wait for runners to pass is too much. (Not to mention most of the streets in my neighborhood are only 25 mph!) And on the flip side, runners don't do enough to protect themselves, as I counted six other runners on my route and NONE were wearing lights or reflective gear. (And two of them had headphones on on too, which I won't even start ranting and raving about tonight.) And these days there are so many ways to wear reflective gear... So if you're a nighttime runner, be seen!

(Karen Kalbach sporting lots of Reflective gear during the Blue Planet Run. Note: Always run on the left side of the road facing traffic. During BPR, we had support vehicles allowing us to run on the right side of the road.)


B-BOY KIND OF DAY
So what do I listen to during the day when I'm answering coaching E-mails, building route maps, and building training schedules? It depends... Typically electronica. But today was definitely a Beastie Boys kind of day and I rolled through all of their CD's twice. And on a slightly connected note, one of my best friends and huge B-Boy fan Kyle Archer just purchased a new house - Congrats Kyle!! (Click HERE to hear a sample of his rapping skills.)

"I'm the king of Boggle, there is none higher,
I get eleven points off the word 'quagmire'!"

(Beastie Boys)

0 comments:

Post a Comment